Congratulations if you have just bought a new PC or upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Many applications like Skype, Outlook and Word may already be downloaded to your new PC, but what about QuickBooks? This article will help you through the process by answering common questions like:
- Can I transfer my QuickBooks license to another computer?
- How do I move my QuickBooks desktop to another computer?
- Can I Use the QuickBooks Migration Tool?
Can I transfer my QuickBooks license to another computer?
Yes, you can transfer your QuickBooks license from one computer to another at any time. Before beginning the transfer process, Intuit recommends that you first find your QuickBooks license number and product number. To find them on your original computer, open QuickBooks, select Help, and then choose About QuickBooks. The pop-up window contains the license number and product number.
How to Transfer QuickBooks Licenses from One Computer to Another
Once you have your license number and product key, you are ready to learn how to transfer QuickBooks desktop to another computer. If you have an installation disc, you can insert it into your new computer and follow the wizard setup instructions.
You can install QuickBooks on a new computer even without an install disc. To do so, go to https://www.supporthelp.com/ and download quickbooks desktop version. Save the download file to make it easier to find the file to play and install. After downloading, follow Intuit’s instructions.
- Click the downloaded QuickBooks executable file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to accept the license agreement. Press [Next].
- Enter your product and license number and press Next.
- Open the application and activate QuickBooks.
- From the Help menu, choose Activate QuickBooks Desktop.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to review the information.
Now that you’ve described the process for transferring your QuickBooks desktop to another computer, you can copy the files and get started.
QuickBooks Migration Tool
If you are using a US version of QuickBooks Desktop 2018 or later, you can use the QuickBooks Migration Tool. The QuickBooks Migration Tool describes how to move your QuickBooks desktop to another computer and copy files from up to three companies. To use the QuickBooks Migration Tool, both the USB flash drive and the PC must be connected to the Internet.
Intuit first provides instructions for using the QuickBooks migration tool from your old computer.
- From QuickBooks, go to the File menu, choose Utilities, and then choose Move QuickBooks to Another Computer.
- Select Ready to generate a one-time password.
- Follow the instructions to select the USB flash drive you want to use. Then wait for the files to be copied.
When you’re done, you can switch to your new computer and do the following:
- Insert USB flash drive. Due to Windows security restrictions, the QuickBooks Migrator Tool will not start automatically.
- Open the flash drive to view the files and double-click the Move_QuickBooks.bat file to start the migration.
- Enter the password you created and select [Let’s go].
- Wait for the migration tool to finish. Note: This depends on the speed of your computer and internet and the size of your company’s files.
How to Transfer QuickBooks Desktop to Another Computer with Qbox!
Qbox is cloud-enabled collaboration software that helps users share files over the Internet. Files in the Qbox folder on a user’s Windows computer are synced to the Qbox cloud server and then to the shared user’s Windows computer. If you buy a new computer, you don’t need to look for the latest backups or USB files. Qbox automatically transfers data from one QuickBooks to another by automatically syncing files from the cloud to your new PC.