Most people who are considering IPL hair removal at Far East Square for the first time do ask; how do IPL treatments work? Now, the (Intense Pulse Light) IPL hair removal treatments use a kind of light called intense pulsed light—just as it sounds. This light is absorbed by the pigment in the hair shaft.
The heat from the light destroys the hair follicle, which prevents future hair growth. IPL treatments are effective on most skin types and can be used to remove hair from large areas like the legs or back.
They’re also suitable for smaller areas, like the upper lip or chin. IPL treatments typically require multiple sessions to achieve desired results. The number of sessions you’ll need depends on your skin type, hair type, and other factors.
IPL treatments are generally safe when performed by a licensed professional. However, there is a risk of side effects, such as skin irritation, redness, and swelling. Be sure to discuss any concerns with your doctor before undergoing treatment.
Does IPL Remove Hair Forever?
Most people considering IPL also do ask; is IPL permanent? The answer is no. IPL, or intense pulsed light therapy, can be used on the face, legs, arms, underarms, and bikini area; however, it is not permanent.
When you complete your treatment, you will still need maintenance treatments which can be done yearly or after 3 to 5 years, depending on you as the individual. Please, note that since IPL is not as focused as laser therapy, it does not work as well on very dark skin or very light hair.
It also takes longer to see results than laser therapy because it takes multiple treatments to destroy the hair follicle. However, it is a less expensive option than laser therapy and has fewer side effects. If you are considering IPL for hair removal, consult a plastic surgeon or other skin care professional to see if it is right for you.
Can I use IPL for Pubic Hair?
Most people also ask; is it safe to use IPL for hair removal in the pubic area? Well, if you’re considering using IPL to achieve hair-free skin in your bikini area, you’ll be pleased to know that it is safe to use in this area.
However, it isn’t really ideal for hair removal in the genital area. It is important to bear in mind that the genital area is generally darker and has a higher density of hair.
This means that it may absorb more light energy and cause discomfort. For this reason, it may not be a good idea to use IPL in the genital area.
If you are planning to use IPL elsewhere on your body, make sure to consult with a qualified professional to ensure that you are using the correct setting for your skin type and hair color. That’s the only foolproof way to reduce the risks of any side effects.
What to Expect During the Treatment
IPL treatments are usually performed in a dermatologist’s office or other medical facilities. The area to be treated will be cleaned, and a cooling gel will be applied.
A hand-held device will be used to deliver the light pulses to the treatment area. You may feel a slight snapping sensation as the light pulses are delivered, but this is generally well tolerated.
The treatments usually take 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the treatment area. After the treatment, the gel will be removed, and the area will be cleaned.
After the treatment, you may experience some redness and swelling, but this should resolve within a few hours. It’s important to protect your skin from the sun after IPL treatment as it will be more susceptible to damage.
Wearing sunscreen with at least SPF 30 and avoiding sun exposure as much as possible is recommended. IPL treatments are usually performed in a series of 4 to 6 sessions, spaced 4 to 8 weeks apart.
You should start seeing a hair growth reduction after the first few treatments. The number of treatments needed will depend on your skin type, hair type, and other factors.
How to Prepare for IPL Hair Removal
As with any medical procedure, it’s important to be well-prepared before undergoing IPL hair removal. Here are a few things you can do to ensure the best possible results:
- Schedule a consultation with a qualified provider. During the consultation, be sure to ask about the provider’s experience with IPL hair removal. Some other helpful questions to ask include:
- How many IPL treatments have you performed?
- What are the risks and side effects associated with IPL hair removal?
- What can I expect during and after the treatment?
A good provider will be able to answer all of your questions and put your mind at ease.
- Avoid sun exposure before the treatment. It’s important to avoid sun exposure for at least 4 weeks before treatment. This will help minimize the risk of side effects, such as skin irritation. If you must be in the sun, be sure to apply sunscreen with at least SPF 30.
- Shave the treatment area. IPL hair removal is most effective on hair in the early stages of growth. For this reason, it’s important to shave the treatment area before your appointment.
- Arrive freshly bathed. Be sure to arrive freshly bathed for your appointment. This will help the provider apply the gel more evenly.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Wear loose, comfortable clothing to your appointment. This will help you feel more comfortable during the treatment.
- Be sure to follow any instructions given to you by the provider. This may include avoiding sun exposure and shaving the treatment area before the procedure.
- Inform the provider of any medications you are taking. This is particularly important as some medications can increase your risk of side effects from IPL treatment. Some examples include blood thinners and medications that increase photosensitivity.
Final Thoughts on IPL Hair Removal
IPL may not be a permanent solution to unwanted hair, but it can be a great alternative to other methods, such as shaving, waxing, and plucking. To get the best results, be sure to take your time and find a qualified provider.
At SuperSmooth, we offer a variety of hair removal services, including IPL hair removal. Our team of experienced providers is here to help you achieve your desired results. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Supersmooth – Far East Square
32 Pekin Street #03-01, Lift, Lobby C, Singapore 048762
+65 8288 2126