Solar technology has come of age since silicon (the material on which solar panels are based) was first discovered in 1954. Today, solar energy is one of the most sought-after alternative sources of energy that’s being explored to solve the energy needs of the future. If you would like to know more about this incredible energy source then you are the right place, since we will be discussing some of the essential elements of solar panel systems in this article.
Image Source: Luminous
Solar Panel Systems: The Basics
Today the solar panel system is enabling households all over the world in reducing their carbon footprint and reliance on the traditional sources of energy we have been used to. Here’s how a solar panel works.
- At daytime, the solar cells present in the panel absorb the rays of sun.
- Circuits present in the cells collect the energy and converts that into DC energy
- The DC energy is passed through the inverter which then converts that current into AC energy
- The AC energy powers all of your household appliances and any excess energy generated by the solar panels is either stored in the battery or passed on to the grid.
Components of a Solar Panel System
A solar panel system consists of a number of components that make up the entire system. Let’s look at few of the most crucial components that a part of this intricate system.
The solar panel is the probably the most important as it is responsible for absorbing the sun’s energy and converting it into usable energy for the other components to work with. You can choose between two types of panels:
The inverter helps in converting the DC energy generated from the solar panels into AC current that is used by your household appliances. It ensures consistent power during normal operations as well as during power outages.
The battery is the energy storage component of the entire system and allows one to store all the excess energy being generated by the solar panel system to be used in case of a power outage or during night time when the sun is down.
The charge controller is responsible for the efficient functioning of the entire system and crucial for voltage synchronization between the solar panels and the battery. It regulates the voltage flowing from the panels to the battery and maintains optimal flow to ensure faster charging while protecting the battery from the risk overcharge, overload, voltage disconnections and reverse current.
Now that you know a bit about the solar panel system in general, let’s look at some of the benefits it offers!
Benefits Of Solar Power System
- Cost Savings: Solar systems offer incredible cost savings in electricity bills. Since the system is able to generate most of the required power by itself and also ends up contributing excess power to the main grid, you can expect reduced energy bills and utility credits throughout its lifecycle.
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: It helps you reduce your reliance on traditional sources of energy like fossil fuels which is the primary driver behind global warming, thus reducing your carbon footprint on the planet. The perfect way to leave behind a greener planet for your future generations to come.
- Low- Cost Maintenance: Since there are no moving parts in the system; maintenance costs are next to none.
- Service Life: A solar panel system typically comes with at least 25 years of service life, so for one-time investment, you can keep reaping in the benefits for years to come.
A solar panel system is the perfect way of building a sustainable future while fulfilling the growing energy requirements of the world. So, if you want to move on to an energy source that’s practically free and offers a range of benefits over your existing power connection, solar is the way to go.
If you are looking to make the switch, then Luminous has a range of world-class solar panel systems for home across a range of budget options. No matter you are looking for an on-grid or an off-grid system, they have something for everyone. All of their products come with Luminous’ guarantee of a long service life, build quality and next to no maintenance, so you can sure that you are investing at the right place. So, what are you waiting for? Check out their complete library and choose one that perfectly complements your lifestyle!