Goiter: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Effective Treatment Options
Individuals who notice swelling around the neck and have difficulty breathing must contact an endocrinologist in Lahore. The symptoms correlate with goiter, which requires immediate medical attention to avoid complications. The specialist will conduct several related tests to determine the cause of the disease and treat it accordingly.
Goiter and Its Symptoms
In this condition, the thyroid gland grows abnormally and causes breathing and swallowing problems. Women are more prone to develop the condition. However, the treatment options help manage the symptoms. Women who exhibit the following symptoms must visit an endocrinologist as the condition can be life-threatening.
The symptoms of goiter are:
- The patient can notice swelling around the neck.
- The patient feels tightness around the neck.
- The patient suffers from constant coughing and hoarseness.
- The patient suffering from the condition has difficulty swallowing food.
In severe cases, the patient may not be able to breathe.
If the cause of goiter is hyperthyroidism, then the patient can exhibit the following symptoms:
- The patient sweats even in winters.
- The patient remains nervous most of the time.
- The patient will have excessive hair loss.
- The patient will have irrational weight loss.
- The patient has an increased appetite.
- The patient remains stressed and lethargic without engaging in physical activities.
The caregivers will notice that the person becomes hyperactive.
If the condition is due to hypothyroidism, then the patient will suffer from the following symptoms:
- The appetite increases, but the patient losses weight. The irrational weight loss without physical exertion is an indication of a thyroid problem.
- The caregivers notice that the patient becomes forgetful and remains lethargic.
- The personality changes become prominent.
- The patient has decreased tolerance towards cold.
- The patient suffers from hair loss due to a thyroid problem.
Known Causes of Goiter
The known causes of goiter include:
- Individuals with iodine deficiency suffer from goiter.
- Individuals with autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Graves’ disease may suffer from the condition.
- Patients with hyperthyroid and hypothyroid; who do not take treatment are more likely to suffer from complications such as goiter.
- Individuals suffering from thyroid cancer are more prone to suffer from the condition as a complication.
- The use of certain medications/drugs can increase the likelihood of enlargement of the thyroid gland.
- Women in menopause are at a higher risk of suffering from thyroid-related problems.
- Pregnant women may suffer from goiter due to hormonal changes in the body.
Complications Associated with Goiter
The complications associated with the condition include:
- The patient struggles to swallow food, which can have an adverse impact on mental health and social life.
- The condition can cause an irrational change in body weight.
- Individuals with thyroid problems suffer from sleeping disorders.
Ways to Prevent Goiter
- The preventive measures include:
- People with a family history of thyroid problems must consult a specialist after a year to determine if they may be suffering from it. It helps in early diagnosis.
- Individuals must have a check on the food and balance the iodine intake to avoid complications.
Tests that Assist in Diagnosing Goiter
The tests that assist in diagnosing goiter are:
- The specialist will conduct a physical examination to check the swelling around the neck.
- TFTs help detect the imbalance in the hormonal levels.
- The antibody test helps review if there is an abnormal production of antibodies.
- The thyroid biopsy helps detect if it is cancerous and requires further treatment.
- The imaging test helps detect the size of the thyroid gland.
Effective Treatment Options
The treatment options include:
- Hormone therapy to treat hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
- Anti-inflammatory medications help reduce inflammation and ease the pain.
- Thyroidectomy is a procedure in which the thyroid gland is removed to avoid complications.
- Radioactive iodine therapy is proven effective to deal with the overactive thyroid gland.
People diagnosed with the condition must visit an endocrinologist in Islamabad for guidance regarding the most effective treatment option.
Read more: creative now hiring signs